Habitual reactions and behaviors block one’s ability to calmly and creatively work with difficult people. The POSITIVE POWER AND INFLUENCE® Program teaches participants how to strategically change the way they interact with others, especially in difficult situations. Defensiveness, frustration, and apathy are replaced with strength and purpose through the use of the Influence Styles, which are essential to achieving objectives while building important relationships. Participants learn to diagnose difficult influence situations that they encounter and then construct a strategic Influence Action Plan. Many research studies have demonstrated the power of planning. In SMS’ own research, we found that four weeks after attending the Program, 75% of participants have had success or have on-going success in challenging situations. Prior to attending the Program, only 25% felt they had a chance of succeeding.
Influence is an essential life skill and people do not separate their personal life from their professional life from a behavioral standpoint. Whether communicating with people in their workplace, community, or home, excellent influencers are keenly aware of the need to build trust, establish connections, be authentic, emotionally intelligent, and above all, be present. Influence occupies the space between people and any one person has the ability to shift the dynamics in the room. Getting things done with and through others includes meeting the needs of all parties involved, while simultaneously satisfying multiple agendas.
Yet, there needs to be a balance between achieving objectives and taking care of relationships. Based on Neuroscience research, this can be extremely challenging given the way our brains are wired. We have two different neural networks directly involved with influencing; one that focuses on the task, which is called the Task Positive Network (TPN), and one that focuses on relationships, which is called the Default Mode Network (DMN). These networks often do not operate simultaneously, potentially resulting in the loss of productivity and effectiveness. People who favor the TPN, may achieve their influence objectives, but often at the expense of important relationships. Others, who favor the DMN, habitually avoid conflict thereby preserving the relationship, but sometimes at the expense of fulfilling their work goals. Based on the neuroplasticity of the brain, this can be changed through the use of the Situational Influence Model™, which stimulates these two neural networks to get the task done and manage relationships at the same time.
By attending the POSITIVE POWER AND INFLUENCE® Program, participants learn about their strengths and weaknesses. It challenges them to take responsibility for the quality of their work and relationships versus blaming others – the difficult people, or the situation – for their inability to succeed. By applying the key elements of the Situational Influence Model, participants grasp how to influence others effectively, through managing their emotions and handling conflict.
Where Influence Matters...
- Manage emotions in difficult situations and with challenging people
- Increase self-awareness of impact on others
- Conduct more influential conversations that get results
- Influence others without the use of positional authority
- Build and maintain relationships at work, in the community, and at home
- Become more effective team members/team leaders
Who is the Target Audience?
- Leaders who need to influence change and build a foundation of trust and commitment
- Program or project managers who must obtain the cooperation of functional managers over whom they have no authority
- Salespeople who need to build trust-based consultative relationships with clients and prospects
- Technical or professional personnel who take on supervisory or management responsibilities
- Individuals who must exert influence cross-functionally
- Staff who need to gain the support of operating managers
- Managers and supervisors who want to develop their influence skills to lead more effectively
- Anyone whose responsibilities exceed his or her positional authority
What is in the Program?
The core of the POSITIVE POWER AND INFLUENCE® Program is the renowned Situational Influence Model™, which consists of three key elements: Influence Energy, Influence Styles, and Influence Behaviors. The Model demonstrates that we need not rely on one predominant Influence Style. Rather, we can apply the Styles best suited to each influence situation we encounter. We define Energy as mental, emotional, physical, and spiritual. When we feel strong in each of these areas, we convey that strength through being authentic, centered, and grounded. This type of energy immediately builds trust, and is expressed through our words, tone of voice, and body language. It is further defined as being Push, Pull, or Moving Away Energy.
How is the Program Structured?
The POSITIVE POWER AND INFLUENCE® Program moves briskly through influence concepts to focus participants on mastering Influence Behaviors, and to applying those Behaviors in their own work environment in the weeks immediately following the Program. This is accomplished through role-plays, case studies, small and large group work, exercises, lecturettes, one-on-one trainer coaching, peer feedback, a/v feedback, and application to a real-life situation. A key learning point for most people is that they need to manage their impact on others. Influence is not a one-way street and it is not something that we do to others. Based on our knowledge of a situation and the other person, if we communicate something that resonates with them then they will most likely respond positively. Without this resonance, influence does not occur.
- DEVELOPING STYLE AND FLEXIBILITY
- DEVELOPING INFLUENCE SKILLS
- APPLICATION PLANNING
How is the Program Delivered?
The POSITIVE POWER AND INFLUENCE® Program can be conducted in a variety of formats using SMS certified trainers:
- Face-to-face (1-, 2-, or 3-day programs) – In-house and public programs
- Virtual – All sessions are conducted online using break-out rooms for practice exercises
- Blended – A combination of face-to-face and virtual components
Your SMS account manager will work closely with you to customize the Program for your audience.
Note: We also encourage client organizations to conduct the Program using internal facilitators trained and certified by our firm.
Contact us to learn more