What is the purpose of the program?
Conflict can be a major obstacle to getting things done. Turf wars, organizational politics, personal conflicts, even petty differences of opinion often stop or delay progress on important projects.
Yet, conflict can be powerfully productive. It can yield vibrant thinking, fresh energy, and break-through innovative solutions.
The key is for the stakeholders in any conflict to first agree on basic principles, and then work toward a resolution based on those principles. This process of principled conflict management leads to lasting “win-win” agreements that reduce the incidences of destructive conflict and drives up your productivity. The Situational Influence Model from the Positive Power and Influence® Program is incorporated as a way of managing this process.
Where Leading Through Adversity Matters...
- Successfully work through disagreements that cause costly delays;
- Achieve cooperation between functions, locations, and organizations;
- Ensure the success of mergers;
- Anticipate the need for conflict resolution in action planning;
- Become more effective team members/team leaders;
- Transform personal differences into a positively productive force.
Who is the program for?
Leading Through Adversity is appropriate for everyone who routinely encounters and must resolve conflicts to fulfill work objectives. This program may prove especially valuable for those who:
- Work cross-functionally to fulfill their key objectives;
- Are members of newly formed or recently merged organizations;
- Have been challenged by and/or habitually avoid conflict;
- Are often frustrated by lack of cooperation from internal or external stakeholders;
- Are trapped in mistrustful and non-productive interpersonal or inter-organizational relationships;
- Would like a follow-up to the Positive Power and Influence® Program;
- Who are conflict averse.
SMS also offers a customized version of the Leading Through Adversity Program, which was specifically designed for women. This customized program focuses on challenges women face in the workplace.
What is in the program?
The core of Leading Through Adversity is a comprehensive six-phase
process for principled conflict management. Leading Through Adversity makes participants aware of their own conflict management styles, moves briskly through key conflict resolution concepts, and then provides ample practice and thorough preparation for on-the-job application.
How is the program structured?
- THE NATURE OF CONFLICTS
- INTRODUCTION TO THE PHASES
- EXPERIMENTING WITH STRATEGIES
- CREATING A PLAN
- MANAGING THE PROCESS
- PREPARING FOR APPLICATION
Contact us to learn more